Happy International Women’s Day! With everything that is going on politically lately, I am moved by all of the positive messages sent by and for women across the globe today. I was listening to the radio this morning on my way home from dropping of Gunnar and one of the hosts was talking about how women should get more pay, not just equal because people should be paid based on performance and he (yes, he!) believes that in most cases, women out-perform their male counterparts. For the first time in months, I found myself saying, I’m with him.
Here’s 5 things to get down on in honor of International Women’s Day:
- These inspiring acts going on around the world today almost brought tears to my eyes. Putin’s statement may shock you.
- This will remind you that we have a long way to go.
- If you need an excuse to shop, this retailer is donating 20% of all sales today to the National Women’s Law Center. I’ve got my eye on anything opal.
- Wear RED in solidarity. Or, if you’re like me and all of you personal possessions are boxed up in a garage, wear commanding boots and a soft, feminine sweater with red underwear. Why red? I asked too. Here’s an explanation from @WomensMarch “Today, as we wear red, the color of revolutionary love and sacrifice, we hope that our commitment to each other is reinforced.”
- Make your voice heard. Maybe you don’t call in ‘sick’; there is work to be done after all. Think of what you can personally do to ensure we’re closing the gender gap on pay (or whatever else you want to take a stand for!) Here’s a few ideas:
- Ask your manager if you’re still on track for that promo and start talking about your expected salary.
- Negotiate for a larger bonus or merit increase now.
- Donate some gently used clothes to a women’s shelter nearby. Office attire would be particularly helpful in this case.
Whatever you are doing (or not doing) to observe International Women’s day, I hope you’re moved and inspired. Let me know what you’re up to in the comments! Outfit details below if you’re interested.
Thank you Banana Republic for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own.
Sweater c/o/ Shorts / Boots / Sunnies
You guys, I’ve done it. I’ve become one of those moms that wears yoga pants like, for three days straight. I don’t even have any intention of practicing yoga many of those days. While I certainly never frowned upon living in yoga pants, it just wasn’t for me. That is until I started working from home and discovered athleisure is pretty much a gift from the fashion gods and is best worn Sunday through Sunday. Old Bethann was so wrong.
I discovered Outdoor Voices recently and picked up this bra which I thought would be great for hot yoga and these pants which are for anything and everything. 🙂 So far, I am living in the sweats. I even wear them to bed which I’m ashamed to admit saves me time in the morning because I don’t have to change before I drop the kids off at school.
I also discovered this site and between the two of them am having no issue transitioning my wardrobe from ‘business-cajjjjj’ apparel to much comfier and decidedly cooler, athleisure duds.
^Cute husband alert. Don’t tell him he’s on here. I was getting the camera settings right and snapped this. 🙂
*This post is not sponsored at all, I’m just obsessed. I wish it were sponsored because I can’t own too many sweats so if you know someone at Outdoor Voices, LMK. 🙂
tee / bra / pants / shoes
Guess who finally snagged a pair of Mother jeans? Me! Yes, these ones are the Looker Ankle Fray?! Daaaang, these are just as good as I had heard. I am such a sucker for jeans and frequently hear from KW who thinks that 2 small drawers of jeans is about one and a half drawers too many. I have been wearing these non-stop since they arrived at my doorstep two weeks ago. They are like pajamas they are so comfortable. Unlike pajamas, I wear them to the office, kid drop off and date night (as seen here with this lovely cold shoulder blouse). I love not having to think about what to wear on my bottom half. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Thank you for reading! I hope you have a great day!
Blouse / jeans / shoes
I think I’ll live in these huaraches my sweet husband bought me a few months back. They’re my go-to with LBDs, raw hem jeans, and of course, athleisure momiforms that make getting ready in the morning (and chasing after toddlers) easier.
I don’t have a lot going on up top as far as my chest is concerned so I don’t mind a deep-V neck, but for daytime, I throw on a long-sleeved tee underneath for a little coverage.
^Not posing at all 😉 in front of the cutest pink door.
Dress / Jacket / similar top (the top I am wearing is from H&M but was purchased in store and I can’t find it online!) / shoes
Hi beautiful friends! I’ve publicly gushed about this a dozen times already, but last month was our 5th wedding anniversary! I can’t believe how quickly time has flown by. Backing up a bit, I can’t believe I’m freaking married! I was never one of those girls who dreamed of a marrying, but I snagged a handsome prince and I couldn’t imagine not spending the rest of my life with him. On 11/18/2011 we said ‘I do’ at city hall in San Francisco and it was the best decision I have ever made! My husband (aka ‘the banker’ aka ‘KW’) makes me a better, much happier person and I am so grateful that he came in to my life at a time when I needed love the most. Right after my mom died, he walked in to my life and I seriously think he was sent from my angels. I just love him and am so thankful that he has been there for me for 10 years now if you count all the time we were friends in college. I couldn’t imagine where I would be with out KW.
So what do you get someone so special on your 5 year anniversary? When you ‘google’ it, you find that wood is the traditional option. So how about a wood watch? True or False: with this watch he will never be late again. Probably false, but he will have a unique sandalwood watch that tells him how much I appreciate our time together. Particularly his sense of adventure and willingness to make me tacos every Friday night. The deep iris blue carbon fiber is a favorite of the dark and stormy types. Perfect for my Capricorn.
Whether it’s your five-year wedding anniversary or first holiday together, a Jord Watch might be the perfect gift for your loved one. You can score $25 off of one for yourself. The giveaway will close 01/08/2017 at 11:59pm. Every one of you who enters will be instantly emailed a $25 e-gift code to use on Jord! Note: each e-gift codes will expire on 02/28/2017.
If you’re interested, here’s more of the goodness I found out about 5th wedding anniversary gifts:
- 5th Traditional Anniversary Gift: WOOD
- Modern Gift: SILVERWARE
- Gemstone: SAPPHIRE
- Flower: DAISY
- Popular Songs 5 Years Ago: “TIK TOK” – Ke$ha
“HEY, SOUL SISTER” – Train
- Price of Gasoline when you got together: $2.83 / gallon
Don’t forget to enter my Jord Watch giveaway to snag $25 off of a watch for you or your loved one. Good luck and thank you so much for reading!
Need more? Check out these other gift ideas for men! 🙂
Hello friends! I can not believe it is almost Thanksgiving! Yesterday, I shared 4 tips for effortless holiday dressing and today’s look is for Black Friday or Shop Small Saturday or any day. 🙂 If you’re like me, you’ll be in workout clothes Friday morning burning off those margaritas. (We have cranberry margaritas for Thanksgiving!) After that, I’ll be on the couch catching up with my lovely in-laws. I can’t wait for all the family and friends time, but of course I’ll shop online just a tiny bit especially on Shop Small Saturday.
Where do you shop this time of year? Any good tips for kid’s gifts? Some of my favorite small shops for this kids are:
Whistle and Flute
Brooklyn and Fifth
No matter what this weekend brings, I’ll probably be in this cashmere hoodie quite a bit. It’s 50% off if you’re looking for a gift for yourself. 🙂 I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving and enjoy your time with family.
Holiday looks around here have gotten quite effortless. I’m talking boyfriend jeans, ultra-soft camisole (40% off!), one-step-removed-from-pajamas effortless. This season, it’s pretty hard to avoid velvet…but why would one want to? I opted for a sleek, velvet top that is fitting for LA’s faux-fall when worn alone and can easily be layered under a jacket for the office or if you need to dress a little warmer this Thanksgiving.
I paired it with IRO boyfriend jeans because I’ll be spending this Thanksgiving chasing a toddler but want to make sure my velvet top is on full display when I’m seated at the dinner table (not matter how brief that may be). I need to be mobile and comfortable all
Thanksgiving year long. Am I right, fellow moms?
Since the holidays are such a sartorially festive time, a time that many of us want to dress up even when we might normally take a more casual approach to personal style, I’ve put together some holiday outfit tips specifically for busy women like you.
- Wear an effortlessly festive top. This velvet cami won’t show stains (read: it’s baby proof!), can be layered and is on-trend with it’s velvety softness. I also love this velvet blazer from Old Navy which is perfect for those that experience real Autumn. You can also go for a sleeveless turtleneck in case it gets drafty, but you want to show those guns!
- Give in to the choker trend. I know what you’re thinking, but there’s a reason they’re back. It’s a good one! If you have a toddler you know how dangerous it can be for both parties when you wear a statement necklace. A choker is simple and sweet, but still makes a statement. They’re also super affordable.
- Wear loose-fitting bottoms. This is a no-brainer. Everyone does this for Thanksgiving. It’s your time to let loose… your pants that is! I like these …and I love their price.
- Wear a dress over your jeans. If your Thanksgiving plans are too formal for jeans and a cami, throw a dress on over your jeans (that’s a thing now!) and wow your company with your top half while being strategically comfortable on the bottom. Check out this article in Vogue for inspiration. I’m adding everything on there to my ‘dream wish list’; especially outfit #2.
Wherever Thanksgiving takes you this year, I hope you have a wonderful time and know that you are beautiful and loved no matter what you wear to the dinner table. Happy Thanksgiving!
What I love about blazers is that they instantly elevate whatever else you wear. Throw this blazer on over sweats and your school drop-off duds are now office appropriate. Throw a blazer on over a denim skirt and your on-trend brunch outfit just got even better. I call this blazer the ‘mom blazer’ because well, it can do anything. You know, like a mom. The cut lends it the ability to be perfect for work, but it’s softness makes it comfy enough for playdates. I never thought I’d say this, but thank goodness it’s Fall so we can get back on the layering train. I love how polished adding a simple blazer can make even the plainest of jeans and tees. Psstt…I have a promo code for this blazer below!
Blazer c/o get 15% off with code: FALLBETHANN15 / DSTLD jeans / James Perse Tee / Rag and Bone boots